Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bye Bye Birdy


Isn’t there a movie where the bird appears and it’s a bad omen?

Yesterday, I was driving down a hill and saw a crow in the middle of the road, facing the side of the road but staring straight at me. Crows are stupid, they wait until the absolute last second before soaring off.

(on a side note, a nasty know-it-all boss that my hubby worked for used to insist that crows were incredibly smart. Which always made me question the fact that you always see dead ones on the side of the road – were those the only stupid ones?? I decided that the know it all was the stupid one, and hence, every time I see a crow, I think “That man was an idiot!” In the defense of my compassion, this was not his only attempt at proving his intellectual prowess and failure thereof, while at the same time belittling everyone around him)

Back to my crow. He stared straight at my car coming at him…and didn’t move! I was so upset! He would have been upset, had he not been bouncing alternately off the road and the bottom of my car. I am squeamish when it comes to the loss of life – any life – and it bothered me all day. (Gives a whole new meaning to "I can't Tweet", doesn't it??) I tried to put it out of my mind, but still kept thinking about it.

This morning, I was driving Musician into the orthodontist, and completely and totally minding my own business when another bird flew along the highway, flitting about flirtily…only to bounce off of my windshield. I didn’t see him tumble behind me, so I’m hoping that it was a glancing blow.

But now, I’m spooked. I mean, really! Who has two such close calls with birds in the span of 24 hours? To top it all off, I am about to get on a plane and fly across the country. OH MY GOSH! Dare I, with my birdy troubles of late? I watch the news, I know what birds do to airplanes!

They’re watching me, I’m sure of it. Beady little eyes staring me down for offing one of their own. I’m telling you, I can’t take the pressure.

Tomorrow, I’m gonna scatter bread crumbs across the lawn. A peace offering. Show them that I’m not the monster that I appear to be. He was looking STRAIGHT AT ME! He should have moved!

Then I’ll get on that plane with my head held high…and hope that no feathers fly.

Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

1 comment:

  1. There is a huge difference between a RAVEN and a CROW. Not only their size (Ravens are considerably larger), but also their intellect. Ravens mate for life and are spectacular to watch as they lock claws and DIVE together....especially over the scenic area of the Grand Canyon...
    So sorry for your birdie troubles. I was on 115 one day, driving toward 109 when a small bird literally dropped out of the sky and fell onto my driver's side windshield wiper. It didn't move from there. I had to pull over at the corner, take a cup I had in the car and scoop up the poor thing..crazy being at that place at that moment!
    Have a fabulous time on your trip!! :)

    ReplyDelete