Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Blogging with Discipline

One of my favorite blogs to check out – and one of my great inspirations – is the 1 Minute Writer. It’s a blog presented by C. Beth, who has a separate blog of her own. One of her posts was “Blogging with Discipline”. You’ll have to read it; she is right on the money with this one.
It is, in fact, the reason that I decided that I would blog whether anyone read it or not. Because I want to write! My head is so full, and I just want somewhere to write it all down, and perhaps hone my skills in the process.
So the brief version is this: you write every day, whether you are inspired or not. Just like the 1-minute Writer, which gives you a writing prompt each day, she encourages you to blog every day in a disciplined manner. You will always write something. But occasionally, it will be brilliant.
I love the word brilliant, it rolls off the tongue in such a nice way, and has a wonderful visual, doesn’t it? I see sparkling diamonds, sun rays slicing through the fog. It’s also a word that Simon Cowell uses sparingly, and I could only hope to hear that sort of praise from someone so honest.
I have had moments of brilliance, although I rarely can take credit for them myself. My best writings come when I least expect it, seemingly out of nowhere. Of course, I know where they come from, and I cannot think of a better inspiration than the spirit. I am utterly dependent on the guidance of my Father in Heaven and see His hand even in my own talents. They are, after all, only given to me by Him. He expects me to refine them, use them for His good.
We often seek others who may understand what we are going through. Breast Cancer survivors, for instance, find one another in a crowded room; parents of premature babies seem to have a homing beacon. I have searched the internet myself, in the dark nights that I have been unable to sleep and looking for comfort. Some nights, I have found solace in reading the stories of others who have survived. Other nights, I have seen the struggles continue, and said to myself, “There, but for the grace of God, go I.” It gives us perspective, and tells us that we are not alone. We are not the only one who feels these things, and there is hope.
I am one of those parents of a preemie who SCOURED the web for any signs that my son would ever take to breastfeeding. It seemed rather hopeless. I found nothing to indicate that he would ever learn to breastfeed – something that was very important to me. I’ll share that story with you someday, but just so you know: Preemies can nurse. In fact, my preemie is nearly 3 years old and I have yet to get him weaned. Be careful what you wish for.
So I’ll write and write and write. But I can’t wait for those brilliant days.

1 comment:

  1. *Spectacular* is to me what *Brilliant* is to you... love how words can have that kind of effect and influence!
    So glad you've joined the blogging world. Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete